from generator to alternator

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

from generator to alternator

Allen Tate I put a G. M. alternator with built in regulator on my 530 case tractor. I hooked the Battery wire to the bat. post on the starter. I hooked the exciter wire to the positive side of the coil it charges but it won't shut off . I know this is due to the alternator back feeding power throught this wire where can I hook this wire to prevent it from draining the battery and so the tractor will shut off. I don't have the proper diode to put on the line to stop this. Any help would be great

Thank's
Allen

AJ If the alternator won't charge without having been excited you need to take a wire from the no1 out of the ignition switch,that goes to one side of a 2/3 watts red warning lamp you should mount on the dash,another wire from the other side of the warning lamp to the alternator where you have the exciting wire now,when you switch on the ignition power is sent to the warning lamp,it make its earth through the other wire and through the brushes in the alternator and the light would come on,when you start the engine the alternator starts to produce power the earth is broken and the lamp will go out.power should not be continues to that small terminal like you have it now.
AJ

AJ Forgot to say that the warning lamp needs to be the insulated type so the dash won't act as earth. AJ

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: