CASE IH 4230 - 1997 Powerhift problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

CASE IH 4230 - 1997 Powerhift problems

markus Hello, first apologize my bad english. I'm a farmers son from bavaria, germany. My fathers CASE 4230 shows following problems: When its warm, the clutch opens (means no more transmission), the transmission to build on (right word?)aggregates is no more possible. The mechanic tried to fix the problems by searching for hydraulic leaks and said he fixed everything, but after a hot day the problems are here again.
Would be very pleased to get help.
Thank You.

john Is your problem in high or low powershift or both.
High is hydraulically controlled ,low by 3 belleville springs.If the tractor stops when shifting from high to low it can be broken springs and or a failed sprag clutch, which leads to the low side being burnt out.

markus Thanks John, the problem is that the high part is switching off during the work. But my impression is, that the problems started with the PTO clutch.
The PTO is the first thing which is no longer working when the oil gets warm. Or is this only a side effect of the main powershift problem ?

john The problem could be in the powershift baseplate which is on the underside of the gearbox just behind the clutch inspection plate. The powershift solenoid is on the inside of this plate and is held on by 2 screws, 1 of which may be broken. To remove the baseplate you need to remove the 4wd shaft, drain the transmission oil, and remove the 10 or 11 14mm head bolts.Also disconnect the wire plug.It will then drop down, but take care of the stack pipe which goes from the plate to the shaft.This can be fitted either way.
markus Thanks John,
we checked now the powershift baseplate and the solenoid screws and mounting - but everything was OK. Any other idea (hydraulics - clutches ??)
Bye
Markus

MD Himschoot I also have a 4230 that is having similar problems. All hydraulics work, pto, front loader, and tractor will go in reverse but I have know forward gears. Have tried low and high range. When this first started I engaged the pto and the tractor worked in forward but when I stopped the tractor it went back to not working. Have replaced filter and all hydraulic fluid. Any one have suggestions?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: