Case 870 powershift problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case 870 powershift problems

Paul Does anyone know anything about Case powershift transmissions? I have a 72' Case 870 with a powesrshift trans. When shifting from powershift 1 to powershift 2, it acts as if it is in neutral. I am able to get it to catch if I build up enough speed going down a hill. The more rpm's i'm turning the easier it is to catch. It seems like once I get it to catch in powershift 2, it shifts to powershift 3 normally. Reverse works fine. I tried changing the oil and filter but that didn't help. Is it possible there is dirt in a valve or something? Would an I&T manual help me out? What might I need to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need her to plow with very soon! Thanks in advance. Paul
Zach : Does anyone know anything about Case powershift transmissions? I have a 72' Case 870 with a powesrshift trans. When shifting from powershift 1 to powershift 2, it acts as if it is in neutral. I am able to get it to catch if I build up enough speed going down a hill. The more rpm's i'm turning the easier it is to catch. It seems like once I get it to catch in powershift 2, it shifts to powershift 3 normally. Reverse works fine. I tried changing the oil and filter but that didn't help. Is it possible there is dirt in a valve or something? Would an I&T manual help me out? What might I need to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need her to plow with very soon! Thanks in advance. Paul

It may have dirt in the valve i am not for sure though

Dave : Does anyone know anything about Case powershift transmissions? I have a 72' Case 870 with a powesrshift trans. When shifting from powershift 1 to powershift 2, it acts as if it is in neutral. I am able to get it to catch if I build up enough speed going down a hill. The more rpm's i'm turning the easier it is to catch. It seems like once I get it to catch in powershift 2, it shifts to powershift 3 normally. Reverse works fine. I tried changing the oil and filter but that didn't help. Is it possible there is dirt in a valve or something? Would an I&T manual help me out? What might I need to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need her to plow with very soon! Thanks in advance. Paul

It sounds like you may have a clutch problem. Each gear in a power shift transmission has its own wet clutch and a planitary gear set. The reason you can get it to catch going down a hill is because at that higher speeds there is not as much of a speed differential between fist and second so the engine doesn't have to work to accelerate in speed. When at low speeds and you try to shift you are placing to much of a load on the worn out clutch pack causing it to slip. In a manual they will supply specs and tell you where to perform pressure checks to verify the problem.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: