SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

580k Brake failure after master cylinder replacement

JS 580k series 3, replaced both master cylinders due to dot 3 put in the system and cylinders leaking, brakes worked for about 2 hours 1 side failed
then about 2 hours later the other side failed. Would an incomplete bleed cause a complete loss of brake permanently or did the new masters fail and/or slaves fail?

Any help is great, gonna lose this job anyway at this point.

AJ
Re: 580k Brake failure after master cylinder replacement

First off do you know what machine you got cos as far as I know there were only two models of the 580K,series 1 & 2,the main difference being the S1 had a Case transaxle with outboard brakes and the S2 a Carraro transaxle with inboard brakes,the S1 brakes has the slave cylinder on the outside on top of the the housing with a bleed nipple in each,the S2 does not have a slave cylinder as such it is a cavity inside the axle housing that has a large piston with o'rings on it,the bleed nipple id on top of the housing following the center line of the axle,bleed the brakes,use Case TCH or any good quality HyTrans oil.
AJ

JS I was told by the dealer it is a series 3 and that they skipped 2 all together, they also said it was safe to use power steering fluid for the brakes per the operation manual, being that is what I used I hope it's okay. I have bled the brakes at the top of the trans axle at bleeders,I did not see much air come out. How much fluid should it take to get a complete bleed? Would the bleed still work if air got past the bleeder into the cavity? If I re-bled the system is there some trick that might get out air trapped past the bleeder? Also is there a place to donate? Or some way that I can compensate you for your time?

Thanks,

AJ Its the same fluid for the brakes,steering,hydraulics and transmission,you bleed the brakes like you would an auto,second person in the seat,keep the master cylinders reservoir full,unlock the pedals and bleed one side at a time,you should get a good shot of fluid once the air is out,if you are not getting a good shot from the bleeder check to see that the pedals are returning fully so the master cylinders are getting a full charge of fluid,ie the cylinders must have their full stroke to pump the right charge into the brake cylinder,it was a common fault on a lot of Case machines using those cylinders for the cylinders to stick halfway when they aged causing a low pedal,bleed them again and see how you get on,the advise is free but thanks for the offer.
Good luck
AJ

JS Following up, I purchased a power bleeder and bled about half a gallon through the system. After doing so it was clear that one of the master cylinders that I had replaced the first damaged one with was defective, (the second defective cylinder I have purchased from Reliable Aftermarket Parts totaling two out of three defective parts).I then rebuilt the original master with a aftermarket seal kit from MinnPar. Ironically that seal kit also included an incorrectly sized check ball 5.96mm vs the original sized at 5.0mm. MinnPar confirmed it was wrong and offered no compensation and no replacement, forcing me to use a pitted check ball in the rebuilt cylinder. At this point the aftermarket cylinder replacement seems to leave the pedal it's attached to about 1 inch lower then the other pedal, I will try to adjust the cylinder linkage on the pedal side to compensate for it but it seems there in not enough thread on the rod to do so.
AJ Check and see the piston is returned fully,take out the clevis pins from the push rods and move the push rods in with your hand,you will feel when they contact the pistons,see how they compare,they should be even,if the one that's low goes in further that piston must be sticking,you are going to have a look as to why,Its hard for me to say what's can be wrong,I have rebuilt scores of cylinders on site and always had good luck,it is a problem with those cylinders sticking but that is not new or rebuilt ones,the source of the problem is the disc brakes do not have any springs to return them they more or less touch the friction disc all the time so the fluid does not get pushed back into the master cylinders like say drum brakes that are spring loaded to stay in the off position,I am told that Equipment Parts Source is a reliable and you can use Case parts numbers from the online Case parts site.
AJ
Links
Case parts
http://partstore.casece.com/us/
EPS
http://www.epsstore.com

T van der Schyff Where can I find a Fuel pump or a Kit for IH 724 tractor?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: