SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case 580B quit moving

forrest
Case 580B quit moving

My recently purchased Case 580B quit moving forward and reverse. It tries but just won't move. Engine runs great. I suspect maybe the shuttle is low on fluid but I don't have an owners manual so I don't where to check it. Any other suggestions or known problems with the shuttles will be greatly appreciated. Thank you from a Senior Citizen.

forrest Well I found the dipstick for the shuttle and the fluid was low. So I drained the fluid as it was dirty and installed fresh fluid. The tractor will now move in forward and reverse now but is slow to respond when first engaged in gear. So something is still not right.
AJ Your power shuttle has two clutch packs,one for forward and the other for reverse,drive is selected when you move the lever to the desired position fluid is sent under pressure to compress the selected clutch discs together and engage drive,if the drive is slow picking up the probable causes are low in fluid,the cutout clutch control valve is slow closing,the oil pressure or flow is low,the suction strainer is restricted or the torque has an issue,check out the clutch linkage is moving the valve and that it returns fully,see the right amount of fluid is in the shuttle,Case TCH or any generic HyTrans equivalent,is there a pressure gauge for the torque what's it reading,the suction strainer is inside the shuttle compartment,the top cover with the control valve has to be removed to access it,after checking the linkage is all free and the fluid level is good use it some and see if it improves.
AJ

forrest Thank you AJ. Your reply is very valuable to me. Is there also a suction strainer in the oil pan or just inside the shuttle? Maybe I should have dropped and cleaned the pan before I changed the HyTrans fluid.
AJ The B shuttle does not have an oil pan,the pump for the shuttle is mounted to the top cover of the shuttle,it has a pickup pipe going down to the bottom with a strainer on the end,are you sure the machine is a 580B,if you were looking up from under the machine the torque tube is all one piece from the axle to the engine,if you see an small oil pan under the shuttle then it's not a B series but something newer with a Borg Warner shuttle fitted to the C's through to the early K's,the machine in the picture looks like a B without the backhoe,there is an suction strainer in the oil pan of the engine but that has nothing to do with the shuttle.
AJ

forrest Thanks again AJ. My mistake as it doesn't have an oil pan for the shuttle. I had just drained the fluid from a plug in the lower housing. The name tag on the steering column reads 580 BCK. Is there any care in removing the top cover? As to any small parts that might be attached and could fall loose to the bottom of the shuttle?
AJ The top cover,valve and pump come off in one lump,but I would hold on doing that just yet,the pressure should be checked first as it can't be done when the cover is off and you did say it was ok after you got it,is there any visible fluid leak to account for why it was so low on fluid,check the pressure and go from there.
AJ

forrest
Re: Case 580B quit moving

Evidently I removed the wrong cover as there isn't any suction tube with screen attached. The diagram for this tractor is hard to understand. So I guess I have to remove the cover with the forward/reverse and high/low range lever to access the suction tube with screen.

AJ Yes that is the wrong cover and you are right it is very hard to see things in the manual,go to the link below it will take you to the Case online parts site,first page opens,in the left top margin click on Find Parts by Model,new page,type in 580B and hit enter,new page with two models,click on the shuttle one,page changes and lists the sections,click power train and then torque tube,look for the power shuttle valve and you will see the parts drawing.
AJ

forrest Well I think I discovered why I can't find the right cover to clean the suction tube with screen. My 580B serial #8718723 has a mechanical shuttle and clutch. And I can't find a tube with a screen in any of the diagrams for a mechanical shuttle. And I don't have a transmission pressure gauge on the dash or a filter mounted in front of the radiator. So maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't even exist. Thanks so much AJ for your time and expertise.
AJ OK, if you have poor drive in both directions it points to the clutch,ensure all the linkage is free and not sticking,check the pedal free travel,if it has none adjust the rod so there will be a couple of inches and try again.
AJ

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: