SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Using a Case power shift with a snow blower

Bruce Anderson I'm thinking of purchasing an older 100 hp plus tractor. This tractor will be used for some tillage work in the spring and fall, but I also want to be able to use it in the winter with a snow blower.

Iíve been thinking of a Case 2090, IH 986, MF 1135 or a White 2-105.

Iíve learned (by reading these forms) that there can be issues with the Case power shifts while doing some forms of PTO work, but the information seems to be mixed. Some people have indicated that you shouldnít use the PTO at all while in reverse, while others have said itís OK to use the PTO while in reverses, just donít leave the power shift lever in reverse while doing stationary PTO work. I do have a Case 2090 Operators manual, and in it, it does say ďDo not operate the PTO with the power shift selector in R (Reverse) position. Operating in the reverse position causes the transmission to generate more heat and work less efficiently than in the forward position.Ē

I find it hard to believe they would design and build a tractor that you canít use the PTO at all while the tractor was operating in reverse, so my question is - Has anybody used a Case 2090 (or 2290) with a snow blower, and if so, how did things work out for you?

All replies welcome, thanks!

IHTimmy Back when I worked at case IH I worked with a guy that new cases tractors inside and outhe told me that when you have it in reverse the planetary inner runs twice the speed of what the engine RPM isand when it all gets hot it robs the lube system in the powershift he always said you go a little ways with the blower them pull up then go back and go back into the snow And what he meant by you don't want to go along ways at a time I hope that helped you out

Bruce Anderson Thank you!

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: