SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case 580g not starting

Jim Hi All, Just bought a Case 580g Started ok when I examed the digger. When I went to collect it with a lowloader it would not start- expensive. New to Case. Hope someone can help. The engine is just about turning over but not enough to fire. I have bought a new starter - Not yet fitted due to distance and snow. have renewed both battery leads. with the neg. lead brought over to the starter mounting bolt. Not sure it is a starter fault as it seems to be turning a heavy load slight smoke at exaust on turn over. The injector pump has a elect. lead to what looks likes a solenoid, but does not have the thumbscew on the underside to give the extar fuel on start. I have gone through the message board and have taken on board the items. neutral start switch etc My problem is no manual. Most of the posts are about 580k Does anyone know if the models are much the same. will look at the items I got from the posts next time I get down to the digger its an hours drive away. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Regards Jim UK.

AJ The Case 580F and G are different from the other Case machines as they are built on a David Brown tractor,engine and power train is DB, hydraulics Case,your no starting problem,check to see there is no hydraulic control lever stuck in position,ie stuck lever for jack leg up or the like would slow the cranking speed enough for it not to fire,if all the levers are in neutral thats out of the equation,if you are getting smoke from the stack its getting fuel,the pump does have a on/off solenoid,when the ignition is on that wire should have power,it does not have a cold start button,maybe the starter,is faulty but how did it start the first time,make sure you have plenty battery power,check the levers,it's the easiest thing to do.
AJ

Jim Hi. AJ Many thanks for the information. Wx still holding up - getting hands on. Will check levers and power to the pump solenold. A friend with a D/B tractor with similar engine talked about a thumb screw on the under side of the injector pump - which screwed in to increase the fuel on startup -causes black smoke. you screw it out for normal running. Are you aware of it? Mine seems to be the CAV rotor pump but can't find the thumbscrew, it has the solenoid.
Again many thanks for your quick reply and information.
Jim

AJ That advance device is not fitted to the pump on your machine,the pump is a CAV.
AJ

Jim AJ Many thanks again re advance screw in the Injector pump.
Jim

Jim Hi All. Many thanks for use of your site. Managed to get her started and home. Think it could have been starter problems. Renewed the starter and battery cables, but also think the extending dipper pedal was stuck open and the starter was trying to operate it as well as start the engine. The Wx. was not helping as we had -5 to -10 most of the time. Great forum especialy people like AJ who are willing to give their knowledge and time to would be machanics such as myself.
Regards and Happy 2011
Jim

xaaander goto http://case580g.e-monsite.com/
maybe you 'll find something interesting.
I foundsomething about PUMP here :
http://case580g.e-monsite.com/rubrique,questions-depannage-case-580,650129.html

Lee Loomis My Case 580D will turn over but will not start, any help?
Lee Loomis I was finaly able to get back to the hoe, I tryed bleeding it and the disel is coming out but not a lot. How much presure should I have coming from the pump? How do I know if my pump is going?
brent clark can't find parts here n the USA,,,,,Evidently,,,it is made n Europe,,,,front end planetary gone bad,,,,would like to find a front end for it,,,,,maybe David Brown parts would work,,,Dr. Clark

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: