SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case 580 C Wheel Lock going forward

Barb I have a 1980 580C Backhoe w/shuttle shift. Just this spring it won't move forward if I hit the brakes. If I backup and move forward again all is fine until I hit the brake again. Anyone have a suggestion?? I need to get this fixed ..Got a lot to do
AJ Test the brake for each side,unlock the pedals,press the brake say for the left when going forward and see if it releases and then test the right,one or both are not releasing,this is due to the expanding brake actuator being worn,there are two steel discs held together with strong springs,between the two discs are some steel balls sitting in cups machined into each disc,when the brake is applied the discs are twisted in the opposite direction to each other,this causes the discs to climb over the steel balls and they expand and apply the brake,the discs can only move so far and where they stop the steel balls have worn out a hole,now when you press the brake the discs move and put the brake on and lock because the steel balls have gone into the holes they have worn out,when you back up the discs unlock and go back to the proper position and the brake is off,you will have to strip the brake down and replace the worn parts,the brakes are housed just in front of the axle bolted to the transmission case,the brake consists of both band and expanding actuator,ie you have a brake band and brake disc on each side.
AJ

ron Whoever this "ÁJ", I appreciate his beautiful description of how these brakes work. This seems to be a common problem ?? I have the same issue on my 480c,.....even after I replaced most of the parts with new. I'm doubt it is balls or discs. or bands, as they are new case parts. Any ideas about other possibilities ?????? I musta goofed somewhere. Help much appreciated.~ron
Tom Stewart My 480-E just did the same thing for the first time. I had an International in the past that did this and we put 'anti-seeze " on the balls. What do you think.?
Jeff Robinson 480 C case king construction brakes lock up forward and backwards, master cylinder has brake fluid brakes pedal gets hard pushing down, do I need to remove the tires for access?
Jeff Robinson I found that on the right side brake external spring was missing ordered new one, adusted the emergengcy brake and tested seems fine. The thing thats not making since the right side tire turns when forward and backing thats missing the spring and the left side still locks ups with the spring?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: