SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case IH 275 engine ran great but won't restart

Matt I have a late 80s early 90s Case IH 275 compact tractor. I was using it with a box scraper today to try and knock down some sagebrush. The little tractor ran great and then I shut it for about 2 minutes to walk over an area of especially thick weeds to be sure there was nothing else there. I tried to restart the tractor, but the key/ignition did not fire. I inspected the side of the tractor where the wiring harnesses are and I noticed one of a pair of 2 wires was no longer attached to what looks like a plug coming out of the engine. I am a novice at mechanical work, but I am pretty sure a plug going into the engine should have both of its two wires attached. I bared a bit of the wire and just held it up againsts the plug contact and tried to fire the engine but again, nothing would turn over. My question is whether my test was valid, or if I literally need to solder the wire back on the contact in order to test it. My concern is that there could be some other safety mechanism in the wiring system that I am not aware of that could also be preventing the starter from turning the engine. I know there is one on the shifter, requiring you to be in neutral. I am new to this tractor (and ag tractors in general), and I know that I fiddled with various transfer case settings during my run. I also know that a diesel will keep running until you kill the fuel flow, so this could have occurred a couple of hours before I actually shut the engine down. If anyone knows these tractors well, can you tell me if there are other safety cutouts that could kill the ignition circuit, or should I simply assume that it is the wire that came off the plug that won't let the starter engage and the engine turn over? Also, can someone confirm what that plug is with two wires coming out of it (one of which is now detached)? Sorry for my ignorance, but I wasn't raised around diesel engines. I'm happy to learn, though.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: