SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

case 580c temp gauge

carson hey guys i was wonderin if anyone knows how the sending unit for water temp works on a 580c i bought a brand new unit installed it hooked the wire up but the gauge doesent work it hasnt worked for about 5 years theres no power coming from the wire so what i was planning on doing was just running a new wire to a stewart warner gauge i mounted on the dash the gauge has 4 posts on the back of it so im basically asking how does the sending unit work how does voltage pass through it and all that and can i even hook a 4 post gauge up to it?
AJ When you turn on the key power is sent to one side of the gauges and warning lamps,ground is made through the sender units on the engine,in the case of the temp sender unit when the engine is cold the ground through a resistor in the sender is poor so the gauge does not move,as the engine get hot the mecury in the sender expands and the ground is improved and the gauge starts to register,to test the circuit take off the wire from the sender unit and ground it,switch on the key,the gauge should jump across to read highest,if not either the wire between the sender and the gauge is not continous,the gauge has no power ot the gauge itself is faulty,the most likely thing is the multiplug that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster,disconnect the battery and remove the cluster,check the multiplug contacts are clean,look at the back of the cluster for any brake in the printed circuit.
AJ

carson thanks AJ!!! I APPRECIATE THE HELP I REPLACED THE CIRCUIT BOARD ABOUT A MONTH A MONTH AGO AND CLEANED THE CONNECTIONS BUT NO CIGAR SO I GUESS I'LL CHECK POWER TO THE GAUGE AND THE WIRE THANKS AGAIN. (DAM CAPS LOCK:)
ghitch75
Re: case 580c temp gauge

i got rid of the factory dash and built my own...all the gauges are just auto gauges and the tach/hour is a tiny tach diesel(google tiny tach)....the black gauge on the right is the shuttle temp and the others are engine...case wanted 250 buc's for just the tach/hour and i made it all for less than a 150 buc;s...

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: