SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

580 Super E remove steering wheel

bhb I am going to replaced the seal on the steering control valve. I have a CD manual and it says to use an acceptable puller to remove the steering wheel. I am not sure what an accectable puller is. I removed the center cap from the steering wheel and there is a metal collar with two treaded holes, is this what I use to pull the wheel and what size and tread are the holes? Can you use a puller on the bottom of the steering wheel? Can the seal be replaced with the valve cover in place or is it best to remove the cover to repace the seal?
Thank you, Bill

alrman Bill, I don't think those holes in steering wheel are threaded.
I normally loosen the retaining nut till it is flush with the end of the column, put my knees up under the steering wheel & give it a couple of good sharp hits using a copper drift & at least a 2pound hammer.
On stubborn ones you can get a drift in behind the steering wheel & hit the other side of the metal boss holding the wheel to the column.
use some wd40 or better as well.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: