my radaitor is leaking, need your help!

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

my radaitor is leaking, need your help!

Tom Charles, Miami, Fl. I'm the new owner of a 1950 Farmall Cub that was restored two years ago. The radiator is leaking through the lower cast iron tank. How does the radiator core seal to the cast metal base? Can the cast metal be repaired?
Ed S : I'm the new owner of a 1950 Farmall Cub that was restored two years ago. The radiator is leaking through the lower cast iron tank. How does the radiator core seal to the cast metal base? Can the cast metal be repaired?

Tom the core seals with a gasket between the core and the casting.If you take the core off make sure you scrape the old gasket off the core and the casting,then take emery cloth,sand paper.or a grinder with a wire brush attachment and sand or polish the core and the casting untill both are smooth and clean.If the casting isn't cracked and the base of the core is straight use permatex #2 gasket sealer on the casting and on the base of the core,thentighten the bolts evenly,starting at the middle on both sides working towards the edges.
If the casting is cracked the best thing to do isfind a used one in good condition,or a new one if the price is reasonable.You could get the casting brazed,or welded but you need to find someone who has been a welder with experience in this type of brazing or welding.An amature could ruin a piece of castiron that could be repaired by someone that knows what he is doing.If you do get the casting brazed or welded when you put it back together get two tubes of alumaseal,it is powdered aluminum when used in a radiator it melts and flows into any hair cracks that were missed.I worked for an IH dealer who had the habet of taking things off the workbench ad taking it back up to the store and putting it back on the shelf.To make a long story short,we live in western Pa and this particular winter was cold ,we had a used CUB for sale and before we could put antifreeze in it he took the jug back upstairs.The next day we found that the engine froze,it cracked the engine block and the front casting,we had to replace the casting but we saeled the block with three tubes of alumaseal,that was 30years and that engine is still running with out a leak.If you have the casting repaired and want to make sure it doesn't leak from hair cracks Fill the radiator with antifreeze and water mix,then cover the radiator core with canves,cardboard,or newspaper,start the engine and set it at half throttle and let it get hot ,then pour two tubes of aluma seal in and let flow then take the cover off the rad and use the tractor as you normally do and you should have no problems. Please let me know how things work out.Good Luck !! Ed S polishdeerhunter.

Tom Charles, Miami,Fl. : : I'm the new owner of a 1950 Farmall Cub that was restored two years ago. The radiator is leaking through the lower cast iron tank. How does the radiator core seal to the cast metal base? Can the cast metal be repaired?

:
: Tom the core seals with a gasket between the core and the casting.If you take the core off make sure you scrape the old gasket off the core and the casting,then take emery cloth,sand paper.or a grinder with a wire brush attachment and sand or polish the core and the casting untill both are smooth and clean.If the casting isn't cracked and the base of the core is straight use permatex #2 gasket sealer on the casting and on the base of the core,thentighten the bolts evenly,starting at the middle on both sides working towards the edges.
: If the casting is cracked the best thing to do isfind a used one in good condition,or a new one if the price is reasonable.You could get the casting brazed,or welded but you need to find someone who has been a welder with experience in this type of brazing or welding.An amature could ruin a piece of castiron that could be repaired by someone that knows what he is doing.If you do get the casting brazed or welded when you put it back together get two tubes of alumaseal,it is powdered aluminum when used in a radiator it melts and flows into any hair cracks that were missed.I worked for an IH dealer who had the habet of taking things off the workbench ad taking it back up to the store and putting it back on the shelf.To make a long story short,we live in western Pa and this particular winter was cold ,we had a used CUB for sale and before we could put antifreeze in it he took the jug back upstairs.The next day we found that the engine froze,it cracked the engine block and the front casting,we had to replace the casting but we saeled the block with three tubes of alumaseal,that was 30years and that engine is still running with out a leak.If you have the casting repaired and want to make sure it doesn't leak from hair cracks Fill the radiator with antifreeze and water mix,then cover the radiator core with canves,cardboard,or newspaper,start the engine and set it at half throttle and let it get hot ,then pour two tubes of aluma seal in and let flow then take the cover off the rad and use the tractor as you normally do and you should have no problems. Please let me know how things work out.Good Luck !! Ed S polishdeerhunter.

Ed S. I Plan to start wrenching this weekend, weather permiting. I've Heard the casting can be big problems to repair and most people just use leak fixer stuff. I want to do it right even if I have to replace it. It appears the casting includes the steering box and is holding the front of the tractor together. This could be a balancing act to work on (for a rookie like me). Thanks for your help, Tom C.

Ed S : : : I'm the new owner of a 1950 Farmall Cub that was restored two years ago. The radiator is leaking through the lower cast iron tank. How does the radiator core seal to the cast metal base? Can the cast metal be repaired?

: :
: : Tom the core seals with a gasket between the core and the casting.If you take the core off make sure you scrape the old gasket off the core and the casting,then take emery cloth,sand paper.or a grinder with a wire brush attachment and sand or polish the core and the casting untill both are smooth and clean.If the casting isn't cracked and the base of the core is straight use permatex #2 gasket sealer on the casting and on the base of the core,thentighten the bolts evenly,starting at the middle on both sides working towards the edges.
: : If the casting is cracked the best thing to do isfind a used one in good condition,or a new one if the price is reasonable.You could get the casting brazed,or welded but you need to find someone who has been a welder with experience in this type of brazing or welding.An amature could ruin a piece of castiron that could be repaired by someone that knows what he is doing.If you do get the casting brazed or welded when you put it back together get two tubes of alumaseal,it is powdered aluminum when used in a radiator it melts and flows into any hair cracks that were missed.I worked for an IH dealer who had the habet of taking things off the workbench ad taking it back up to the store and putting it back on the shelf.To make a long story short,we live in western Pa and this particular winter was cold ,we had a used CUB for sale and before we could put antifreeze in it he took the jug back upstairs.The next day we found that the engine froze,it cracked the engine block and the front casting,we had to replace the casting but we saeled the block with three tubes of alumaseal,that was 30years and that engine is still running with out a leak.If you have the casting repaired and want to make sure it doesn't leak from hair cracks Fill the radiator with antifreeze and water mix,then cover the radiator core with canves,cardboard,or newspaper,start the engine and set it at half throttle and let it get hot ,then pour two tubes of aluma seal in and let flow then take the cover off the rad and use the tractor as you normally do and you should have no problems. Please let me know how things work out.Good Luck !! Ed S polishdeerhunter.

: Ed S. I Plan to start wrenching this weekend, weather permiting. I've Heard the casting can be big problems to repair and most people just use leak fixer stuff. I want to do it right even if I have to replace it. It appears the casting includes the steering box and is holding the front of the tractor together. This could be a balancing act to work on (for a rookie like me). Thanks for your help, Tom C.

Tom before you start to turn bolts get to a farm supply store like Central tractor or Quality Earm & Fleet and buy yourself a manuel.Find a I&T shop& service manuel # IH-8,this covers the CUB and other models in the Letter series,it will give you a break-down,and a blowen-up picture of what you need to take off to do the job. Good luck Ed S.

Chris ekholm I bought a used subaru 1991 legacy non turbo. It started overheating and could be cooled off by turning on the heater. But now its more serious my car will run at normal temp for about 20 mins as soon as i turn off the car and start it it overheat when i drive it heats up and cools down, when the car is overheated inside the car blows cold air and sometimes hot. . . I have replaced the thermostat, and flushed the radiator and used Alumaseal for the radiator. . . Before i tear into the engine and get into the water pump got any ideas? . . Plz help im 21 and this is my only car cant afford much.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: