6volt to 12volt

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

6volt to 12volt

joe My 9n has a generator. How can I tell if its a 6volt or a 12 volt. I'm using a 12v battery and I just installed a 12v coil? If it is a 6v, is there an adapter that I can use to convert to 12v?Thanks Joe
Larry : My 9n has a generator. How can I tell if its a 6volt or a 12 volt. I'm using a 12v battery and I just installed a 12v coil? If it is a 6v, is there an adapter that I can use to convert to 12v?Thanks Joe

Larry Most generators were 6 volt and if you happen to have a 12 volt unit you should change it anyway.
Look for a 60-70s General Motors alternator and you can do it all with a single wire. One caution when you changed from a 6 volt to 12 volt coil is the new coil 1.2 ohms or 3 ohms. If it is the 1.2 ohms you will need a resistor in the circuit, ask for a 79 dodge truck ignition resistor costs about 3 bucks and you will not burn out your points.

Bob : : My 9n has a generator. How can I tell if its a 6volt or a 12 volt. I'm using a 12v battery and I just installed a 12v coil? If it is a 6v, is there an adapter that I can use to convert to 12v?Thanks Joe

Larry, if you want to install a alternator you will have to do the following, dont pay any attention to someone that knows nothing about the change over, the single wire theory doesnt work as the wire has to be connected to the ignition circuit and when you turn the switch off the engine will still be getting fire thru the charging alternator, to solve this problem you must have an ignition switch that has a accessory circuit in the switch, you must connect the wire to the accessory terminal on the switch, this cuts out the ignition side and allows the switch to be turned off without the engine continuing to run, you must also install an alternator from 1975 up to aprox 1985 that has a built in regulator and 1 batt term and 2 terminals for ign and resistor, you will hook these two terminals together and run them to the accessory terminal on the switch, as for the coil, just ask the parts store for a coil that has an internal resistor and you will be better off as you wont have an external resistor to fool with and the points will last longer, Hope this will help, as for the generator, most are stamped somewhere with the voltage, Bob

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: