SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Billups Girl Champion - S.R.Whites Inc.

Linda Tuck I recently to purchased a plow and am trying identify it. Sounds like something similar
to what this lady has. Can anyone tell me if S.R. Whites took over C. Billups, Sons?

Art Taylor Cealy Billups (C. Billups Son & Company on Water St., Norfolk, VA - Champion; Girl Champion; and Climax Cotton Plows), and Lewis W. and S. R. White (S. R. White Son, Inc. [think there were other derivative company names?] on Water St., Norfolk, VA - Clipper; and Atlas Plows), and the White's predecessor Seth March (S.R. worked for March, he is listed on March's patents and later acquired March's plow company) were independent plow makers of note. Both Billups and Whites had major plough/plow companies as noted above. All men held patents for plows with March holding the earliest post War Between the States. All of these plows were wooden beam, horse drawn turning plows with the exception of the Climax Cotton Plow. Many of these turning plows had adaptive parts for other uses...peanuts, etc. In addition they manufactured other plows. George Watt and Patrick Henry Starke were independent plow makers of note in Richmond, VA. George Watt began his plow making career with a patent in 1842 and established Geo. Watt & Co. in Richmond, VA in 1846. This is some quick and dirty info. To specifically answer the question, I am not aware of White taking over Billups or vice versa. I can stand corrected though.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: