SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

restore old tractor

john what is the best way to get old paint off of a tractor to get it ready for paint
bontai Joe Depends on what you want for a final result and what the old paint looks like. If the plan is just to protect a working tractor from rust with new paint, sanding it down, wire brushing off any loose paint and rust and then cleaning all surfaces with something like mineral spirits to remove all dust and grease would be the easiest. Now if this is to be a show tractor, then sand blasting down to bare metal, filling any pitted areas with body putty, smoothing out any dents, prime and paint. In any event surface prep is 80% of the work, painting is the other 20%. Surface prep has the most impact on the appearance of final appearance. Also be SURE that your primer and top coat are compatible! Nothing worse than doing all the prep, priming it and then watching the top coat bubble up or run off due to incompatiblity. Been there myself, it stinks, because you have to start all over again.


Post a Followup



Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):


Comments:

Name:
Email:  

Sign Up For Our Monthly Special Sales!