SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

drain plug rounded off

hog man how can i remove the square oil drain plug that has been rounded off from my 1935 John Deere B

Lewis Vise grip pliers, small pipe wrench. Weld a piece of metal to the plug. Use a small grinder and square up the plug. (Not necessarily in that sequence) Pull the oil pan and take it to a machine shop. Good Luck
bontai Joe And don't reinstall it when you are done, get a new proper size plug at your local auto parts store or hardware store.
Lewis Hogman, How did you make out??
hog man put big pipe wrench on it and broke part of it off. Need to get torch i guess.

bontai Joe A torch would be the last resort. I'd be soaking it in penetrating oil and then drill the center out and use an "easy out". Or use the size drill req'd for that size thread tap and try to clean out the threads with a tap.
hog man Too late appplied small amount of heat around the area of the plug and it came right out with a pair of vise grips. Not much fun drilling when there is oil behind the plug.

bontai Joe Glad to hear that you got it out cleanly. Fun working on these old girls, ain't it? I've cursed and praised the same machine in the same day.
Lewis Good job Hogman. Glad to hear you got it out. Isn't it amazing how some simple things can get so complicated. I expect you feel good about yourself now that this problem is solved.
Lane Don't feel bad. I was changing King Pins in my Freighliner Classic, when all the, and I mean all the cotter pins broke off inside their little holes of the tie ros ends and other thing. After breaking 2 pnuchs, I finally broke down and took them to a mahine shop. The machinist borke a Titainium bit and carbide bit, before he was able to get them out.
Of course you know, taking out cotter pins is about 32 seconds. But this one turned out to be about a 4 hour job. Pluc plus the cost of the machinist..........

If it weren't for bad luck.....well,you know the rest.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: