John Deere 50 (1956) power steering failure

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 50 (1956) power steering failure

Bee The power steering locks up on turning to the left. It turns to the right easily. Sometimes the steering will operate as it should from the center but when you turn it right, it becomes almost impossible to turn back to the left. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Chris : The power steering locks up on turning to the left. It turns to the right easily. Sometimes the steering will operate as it should from the center but when you turn it right, it becomes almost impossible to turn back to the left. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

if your power steering is somewaht similar to the 630 that i am working on try this, on the steering pedestal there is a unti that has a hydraulic hose running into it which is the power steering hose, there should be 4 bolts on it, take them loose and tap it with a hammer, not very much though, just a little bit makes a huge difference, that is how my 630 is, hopefully yours is somewhat similar, hope this helps ya
Chris

mike fleeger
this happened on my dad's 70 it most likely has a wore pin that rides in the worm gear. it will jam up and you cant steer it . the pin is hard to remove , you will need 3 or 4 drill bits to get it out. i didnt do the work but the guy who did said it isnt that bad . hope this helps. if you need more info , answer back to me.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: