antique minne U

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

antique minne U

Daniel Leach So I've been born and raised on a family farm in Saskatchewan Canada and in our barn sits 3 antique tractors. One of which is a 40's minneapolis U that has not run in over 35 years. It has sat in doors the whole time and got a paint job before it was put away. I was wondering about possibly getting it running some day and wondered what I should check over or make sure about before I do. Oh and its not for sale at the moment either. But anyone with any useful tips can either post something up for me. Thanks a million
clueless With all due respect, asking what to do to start up a unit that's sat for years is a little like asking "How High Is Up"? Some units can sit for years, and with just replacing fluids, squirting oil into the cyls and whizzing her over a few times with the plugs out, will fire right up and be fine....while the next one will have a stuck engine (or more) from condensation rusting everything, every seal dried and crumbling, the wires decayed and shorting, ad nauseum. I strongly suggest running the archives here and on other vintage/antique tractor sites, or Google storing engines, or starting stored engines, and making up a checklist as you go along. Good luck.
Daniel Leach I'm very mechanically inclined just so you know. I did know that too by the way. I just wanted to know if it had any special electrical parts or anything like that I needed to check. I have over the years gone out and cranked it over with the hand crank just to keep things from seizing on it so im not worried about that. So thanks for the comment but it doesn't help much. If anyone else has anything usefull they can email it to me if they need to.
bontai Joe I'd be sure to drain and discard any fuel in the tractor and in the fuel lines and in the carb. I'd probably invest in new fuel lines. I'd squirt a bit of oil in each cylinder before turning anything over in an attempt to start, and I'd probably drain the gear lube in the tranny and replace it with fresh. And I'd do a very thorough inspection for mouse nest and damage they might have caused. That's about all I can think of that really needs to be done
bontai Joe I got to thinking about this some more and I remembered the 4 things needed for combustion in a gas engine, spark, air, fuel and compression. Diesels don't need spark. In either case, I'd check the air filter and housing for dirt, mouse nests and any crud in the air system that might get sucked in the motor and clean it out before attempting to start.
Daniel Leach Thanks Joe for the great tips. Probably what I will do when I do get to working on it is make a check list of everything that needs to be checked and done to the tractor before I even attempt to start it. I have cranked it over a few times while it sat to prevent seizing so hopefully the insides of the motor will be ok. The drivetrain I am a little more worried about. Anyways thanks again and I will be sure to check for everything you mentioned.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: