Ford 9N Is it enough?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 9N Is it enough?

George I just bought a good condition 9N for $2000 with
small FEL, mucking bucket, rotary spreader, drag bucket?
and pull behind trailer. I want to dig fence holes,
and mow the grass.
Question, does this tractor have enough power for these
jobs? Any precautions?
Thanks
Pete Di. : I just bought a good condition 9N for $2000 with
: small FEL, mucking bucket, rotary spreader, drag bucket?
: and pull behind trailer. I want to dig fence holes,
: and mow the grass.
: Question, does this tractor have enough power for these
: jobs? Any precautions?
: Thanks

The problem is not power! The 9N has more than enough H.P. to pull things.
The problem is hydraulic power/pressure! It has no downward Hydraulic pressure for digging post holes. Only gravity !
I tryed to use one I had to dig holes, I even added weights to the digger arm, no luck. But is does depend on the soil type and what part of the country you live in.
Thats why a lot of guys try to get the 8N's with live hydraulics. Pressure both up and down!

I hope this helps
Pete

Don I have a 9N that has been converted to the 8N hydralics system, not a hard to do conversion. I pull a 5 foot bush hog behind mine and have cut grass as high as 4 or 5 foot tall. When the grass is thick and wet it has killed the tractor but for most of the time it goes through it. You will have to run it in 1st gear through the thick stuff and can run 2nd gear on the lighter grass. The tractor could use another gear also. I guess most of these shortcomings were cured in the Model 8N.

: I just bought a good condition 9N for $2000 with

blakemankansas : I just bought a good condition 9N for $2000 with

blakemankansas : I just bought a good condition 9N for $2000 with

This has no bearing on anything other than it relates to a 9n.

I bought an old n tractor several years ago. According to the serial number on the block it is a '39 9n. This old thing is quite a bit older than I am so needless to say I can't vouch for its history. I advertised it for sale and described it as a '39 9n based on the serial number. So some old fart calls me and asks me to describe the tractor. I do so and we all know that over 64 years, some parts have been swapped out. So, he starts giving me a ration of stuff about how this is not '39 because it has newer parts on it, blah, blah. What it boils down to is this old fart expects to get a 39 9n in pristine condition for $2000. People who try to do such things are known as crooks.

So, guys, you can rant all you want to about whether it is a '39 with a newer rear end or a later model n with an older engine block. I don't care. You want to buy the tractor? We'll talk. If not, have a nice day and go bore someone else with your efforts to get something for nothing.

There, I vented.

Sam How high up does the bucket on these go? Thanks

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: