Beginner needs advice

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Beginner needs advice

Phillip My dad and I recently purchased a JD 60 in very good condition. It starts up very easy with just a push of the starter, has good compression and doesn't smoke at all. After about 6 months of use, it starts and runs great for about 30-60 seconds and then it starts missing. It acts as if it is not getting enough gas. The carburetor/throttle will open wide open then close again and it will set and do this for about five minutes until it dies. We pull the plugs and they are bone dry even if we choke it heavy. We have replaced the plugs, plug wires, coil, had the carb rebuilt and have checked the gas line. Would anyone have any suggestions for this beginner??? Thanks.

Jeff Does fuel tank vent ok? if vent was plugged, the vacum would keep the fuel from flowing.
Carl Tunich It sounds like Jeff is on the right track. It definately sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

I would expect that it would take longer than a minute for it to use enough gas to cause a vacuum in the tank.

Take the screen out of the top of the sediment bowl and see if it is plugged. That screen is fine enough so that water doesn't like to flow through it very well. If there is a coating of old gas on it it will stop gas feed to the engine.

Brian I had a problem with an old carb, and learned that sometimes the jet in the carb can plug, and you can disassemble the carb, removing all parts after counting turns on adjustments, then boil the carb for 45 minutes in water, then squirt carb cleaner thru all holes, followed by blowing air from a compressor thru it to clean it all out.Worked for me.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: