1945 John Deere B

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1945 John Deere B

Gaylord Miller I recently purchased this tractor and am having trouble getting it to run right.It starts right up and runs strong but after a few minutes driving it the tractor pops and will stop completely if I don't grab the choke.I have replaced the plugs condenser and rotor on X mag this made it runn a little bit better but it still stops on me.I have put fresh fuel in but am not sure what to try next.Also I set the timing.Any suggestions will be appreciated
Carl Tunich It sounds like a fuel feed problem. If the tractor has not been run much the carburator could be full of varnish and other stuff that came from old gasoline. When it stalls turn the gas valve under the tank off (probably by the sediment bowl), and then carefully remove the float chamber off the bottom of the carburator. Catch the gas that drains out of it as you remove the float chamber. If nothing much comes out the inlet to the carburator is probably plugged. It would probably be a good idea to take the carb all apart and clean and blow out all the ports and passages. Before you take the carb all apart though. Try to turn the gas back on with the float chamber off the carb and see what kind of flow comes out of the carb. It should be a steady stream not just dripping. If it only drips then the screen in the sediment bowl is probably plugged with junk. Take the bowl off and you can get at the screen. It should just pull out of the housing at the top of the sediment bowl. With the screen out try turning the gas on again. It should flow out of the sediment bowl housing at a fairly good rate. If it doesn't then the problem is between the sediment bowl and the gas tank. If that is the case the first thing that I would try is to get a couple of cans of carburator or fuel injector cleaner to put in the gas tank.
Gaylord Thanks for your reply.I'll try it this week-end.
Carl Tunich I spent many hours sitting on the good old B John Deere. We had like a 45/46 then sold it and got a 51. Course that was 40 years ago but I still remember some of the tricks that they used to pull on me. I think that the hardest thing for them is to just let them sit. If they are mothballed it is one thing, but to just park them is hard on them.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Antique Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: