SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

6-volt question

dennis page On a 6-volt generator- do I need to have a resistor or some load on the field side of the generator in order for it to produce a charge? All I need is for the generator to charge the battery but don't know exactly how to connect the field side of the generator.

Mike Foth Regarding your generator question, first of all do not run the generator without a load. On a WD-45, the resistor is an integral part of the charging system. Plus, when the battery is taken out of the system, one needs to re-polarize the generator - every time. My allis dealer had a photo copy of a new generator circuit because the original type resistor was no longer available. Not sure how many ohms it is or what the wattage rating of orignial is but I'm sure I could find out, or sen a copy of the new circuit to you. I think you can take the generator to a auto parts shop and have them check it in their machine but call them first. Otherwise, you could convert to a 12v system with a Delco alternator - plans usus aval on internet, but I think I saved a copy.

I need some help, can I braze a patch on my rusted out wheel for my WD-45 or do I need a new wheel?

Greg Warner I would go buy a 6 volt voltage regulator and follow the instructions with it. it explains how to "polarize" the regulator and gives a wiring diagram. You may have a bad regulator. The points burn out after a while and stick. I converted to 12v. More starting power. same starter. Runs good. GW

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: