AC Model B 3pt hitch conversion kit opinions wanted

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

AC Model B 3pt hitch conversion kit opinions wanted

Roy Looking for anyone who has installed a 3pt hitch conversion kit on their AC. I want to get one for my B, but for $400 and no knowledge of them creates mixed emotions. Light duty is all the B can handle. Please advise- Roy
Ward : Looking for anyone who has installed a 3pt hitch conversion kit on their AC. I want to get one for my B, but for $400 and no knowledge of them creates mixed emotions. Light duty is all the B can handle. Please advise- Roy

I installed a 3P hitch on a model B several years ago. It is not so much the hitch, it is what you want to do with the tractor. The model B is about 23 HP. Mine is used to pull a finish mower for my yard, the set up works quite well power wise. Rotary brush mower? Forget it - not enough HP. One thing you have to watch is the height of the attachment. The PTO shaft on the B is relatively high, this creates an angle for the PTO shaft as it drops down to your attachment. So far, no problems with the universal joints on the PTO shaft. With the finish mower, it was necessary to modify the V shaped bracket to which the 3 points attach (via the hitch arms) as the PTO shaft would rub at the top of the V shaped frame from time to time. The tractor has a belly mounted sickle bar that can stioll be operated with replacement of the pulley on the PTO shaft and also with a bit of unorthodox hooking up of the piston ram to the lever that raises the arm on the sickle bar. There are no other attachments that I have attempted to use with the 3 point hitch. As the top link would bind when mowing over a dip, I simply replaced the top link with a length of chain and it works well. With the 3 PT hitch, the finish mower tended to slide sideways when rounding a corner. This was easily corrected by hooking 2 chains from the V shaped bracket to the draw bar; the chains cross so the one attached to the right side of the V bracket goes to the left side of the draw bar and vice versa. This corrected the swinging quite well. Any attachment might have a tendemcy to swing a bit. Hope this helps.

Patrick : Looking for anyone who has installed a 3pt hitch conversion kit on their AC. I want to get one for my B, but for $400 and no knowledge of them creates mixed emotions. Light duty is all the B can handle. Please advise- Roy

I was in the same boat as you are. I loke to think im not cheap but concertive. With gas at 2.50 a galon around here my wife would of killed me if i would have spent that on a hitsh even if it ment the brush field went by by. So I built one. I looked at them allover the web and found it to be vary easy and much cheaper. It works great for a sickle mower plowin snow as well as a home made log skidder atachment i made. If your interested drop me an email and I would concider building one for you depending on what all u wanted it would be 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Wes Knettle This subject interests me as well. I have a 49 B and a Hayes trip bucket loader up front using a Hydraulic pump off the rear PTO. I want to mount a drag blade on the back but haven't been able to find a two point blade. I have a nice three point blade but I believe the 3 point conversion kit would force me to give up the rear PTO mounted hydraulic pump for the loader.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: