650,652,653,655 ,HD4-STEERING CLUTCH REPAIR COST IN PARTS

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

650,652,653,655 ,HD4-STEERING CLUTCH REPAIR COST IN PARTS

GEORGE ARCHERS TORONTO CANADA LUCKY I HAVE THE REPAIR MANUAL.IWISH THE AUTHORS WOULD EXPLAIN IN MORE DETAIL.SEEMS THE STEERING CLUTCH IS TOTALIY GONE ON ONE SIDE---ZERO.I'M WONDERING WHY ONLY ONE SIDE.
CALLED THE PARTS DEPT AND GOT QUOTES AS IF THE PARTS WERE MADE FROM PLATINUM.THERE IS ABOUT 8 DISCS AND AT $143.00 EACH.THE PRESSURE PLATE--$1038.00.I'M AFRAID TO ASK WHAT THE WHOLE ASSEMBLE WOULD COST.I DON'T YET KNOW WHAT IS NEEDED BUT ASSUME IT IS THE CLUTCH .
I'VE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE AND NO LUCK IN FINDING A GOOD SET OR A COMPANY THAT REFINISHS THEM.HAS ANYBODY KNOW WHO HAS A COMPLETE UNIT OFF A OLD MACHINE FOR SELL?
THE GUY THAT SOLD ME THE UNIT SAID--IT HAS A LITTLE DIFFICULTY IN STEERING--BULL!I LEFT A DEPOSIT AND 2ND THOUGHTS IN BUYING IT--EVEN IF I LOSE MY DEPOSITE.
THE PARTS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE---ANOTHER SCHOCK WHEN QUOTED $138.00 FOR LOWER SEALS FOR A M.F. BOOM CYLINDER--WHAT A RIP-OFF!

cole interested.
George Had a hell of a time taking the unit off today.that snap stop shaft clip ring was a bummer to take off.
the clip is hard to feel due to space---the shaft must be rotated that the pin hole is start up.A wire1/8' thick and about 2' with a 90 degree 1'' toe.The end has to be flattened.the edge of the clip over hangs the spool sleeve hub. one jerk and it is off.when replacing the clip--place back on hub-just off hole.When settled shaft in slide into hole.-slide the shaft into the rear end shaft housing flash with clutch bearing.note:clutch fork must be released first.
the disc-fibre-have no metal support-4 of them drive the track--once the bearing falls the discs get chewed and disc spline-spins freely.very poor weak bearing--my riding mower has better bearings.the clutch has cracks at the bolt holes-appears to look as a car clutch--dealer wants $1000.38-robbery.the bearing will be purchased-stock item.Now to order the discs and weld the cracks.Now I know why the manual sugests--a special protective grease for the clutch assembly---mine is covered in rust---what a poor design. I do not recommend anyone drive it into water.-better cut holes into housing so it can breath

i dread the time to go back and install the repaired unit due to the back breaking and cutting knuckles.I suspect the other side needs it.Very poor design---if yours is working--treat it like a baby---has weak clutchs--shame on Allis Chalmers--now you know why they gone out of business
Let me know if problems--gada.2004@3web ,net or 1905-279 7569

Coke in MN My H 4 D had single disc clutch . yes they are fun to work on and a piece of junk when they break. had to remachine both rear cases as outboard axel bearing housing cracked and wore through race.. Inboard and outboard bearings to light for carrying the detatchable hoe I had on machine.
aregers Coke--I should have responded to my problems with the clutch.
No wonder the company gone broke!There is steel shafts that levers don't have grease fittings and are exposed to water and dirt.So grease them good.
My clutch had all 4 fibre discs stripped all it's inner teeth.There is steel clutch thin plates,which worp from heat. I did not replace them.Each disc from the dealer is over 150$. I contacted a brake reliining business and each was $50 no tax. I'm in Toronto and if someone needs them let me know---the owners are great--and no cheats.
I had a hell of a time re-installing the heavy unit back in.I have the manuals and the jerk who wrote it-deserves to be shot.There is a adjusting nut and bolt for the clutch--can be accessed at the outside housing just below the track.

The room in the clutch housing is so narrow---took me numerous days to install it.
Suggestion--you will need another tractor to pull the tractor forward to out/in clutch bolts and if the shaft gets pushed in too deep--I used a magnet--from and old computor hard drive--suckers attached to a string are strong.

The tractor seems to work wonders on the side I did not replace, due to the fact--main gear oil is getting into the housing and brake band not catching. I got under removed the protective panels and the bottom housing plugs are another matter--solid rusted.I drilled a center hole and let the oil out.Then I filled the cavity with old clean gasoline and let the clutch spin and dry.It works good but not excellent-I guess due to the worpped plates.
Need help- welcome give me a call or come over ---george 905 279 7569

linda wilson i am trying to remove the steering clutch assembly from a h-3 ac dozer.read your info. i will try to call you.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: