Tractor won't start

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Tractor won't start

Henri Dauphinais
I need help troubleshooting. My Allis Chalmers tractor will not start. I have changed the spark plugs and cleaned the carborator. The tractor sounds as if it wants to start but it will turn over but will not start. The battery is new. I need suggestions on what I should be looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike McCabe Have you recently run out of gas?

There may not be any gas in the engine to ignite.

That happened to me and I just had to keep trying to start it until enough gas reached the engine.

Make sure you set the throttle up a little too.

Good luck!!

Len Well, you need fuel, spark and compression.

If you pull a plug, do you smell gas?

While you have that plug out, ground it, the engine and see if you get a spark.

Make sure you have the plug wires on the right plugs. Last resort, check the timing.

peter check for spark,pull one plug ,still connected to the wire place on the engine block ,have someone watch while you crank it over,they should see spark.i am having the same problem and think it is either the regulator or condenser.let me know.peter
cemoody have you had the intake manifold off for any reason? if an allis chalmers have any kind of a leak behind the manifold ,it upsets the vac that is needed to make the updraft carb to function corectly, any leaking here and the tractor will not run, that includes where the carb fits on the intake manifold too, might try taking a squirtcan and squirt some oil around ,this will help you to deside the problem is there or not,,,, cemoody
dennis Gotschall Dear Sirs, my D-17 allis chalmers tractor will not start, no turnover, no sound at all. I have a new battery. could you please help? what troubleshooting procedure shall I follow? to get it started.
thanks so much
Dennis and Jean

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: