WD 12 volt conversion

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

WD 12 volt conversion

Mike I have a 1951 WD with the original 6 volt system. I would like to change to a 12 volt system and would like to know what is the process for this ? What needs to be changed or adjusted? Also it still has the magneto on it,would this need to be changed to a distributor or would the magneto work? If anyone has any cost estimate on changing everything over, I would appreciate having an idea before I get into the work. Thanks in advance.
Eric It's cheaper than you think, keep the magneto if it's working good, use the same starter, it'll just turn over faster. You must change generator and regulator to 12V, or better yet install a self-excited Delco alternator, make a new mount to fit the alt. on. If your tractor has lights, change bulbs and or sealed beams to 12V as needed, or connect your two 6V headlights in series and they will also work fine. My '53 WD is converted and I sure like it that way. I have changed my system to negative ground, as opposed to the original positive ground system.Good luck!
Dan Randolph Mike and Eric
Have a d14 ac and want to change to 12 volt
negative ground system. Can you help?
thanks, Dan

John R thompson need a wiring diagram from 6volt poss ground to 12 volt neg ground. think i have it done , but battery keeps going down.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: