Allis Chalmers #66 all crop combine, Questions from a high school

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Allis Chalmers #66 all crop combine, Questions from a high school

gerry Podraza I'm at the Chicago H.S. for Ag. Sciences. WE have located a #66 AC combine that a farmer will donate. Please help with these questions:
1. what are the size of the tire rims?
2. what are the recommended tires, car or truck?
3. What is the overall width of the combine?
4. Can any part of the unit be removed to keep the overhang at a minmum, transporting on a trailer?
5. What is the distance between the wheels?
6. What is the weight of the combine
7. What type of trailer is required to haul the comine?
8. Any comments about ease of operation
9. Are parts available such as the apron and sickle bar?

Brendon Here are a few answers to your questions based on my own 66 All Crop:
1. My rig has 7.50-16 implement tires.
2. I would stick with truck or implement type due to the heavy weight, especially with a full bin. (A full bin will add over 1000 pounds.) If the unit you are looking at has 16" rims, this would be your only option. Check at tire shops for some used truck tires, maybe.
3. Field-ready width is a little over 11'.
4. The shroud at the end of the walkers is easily removable (even made to fold up for storage) but the width is still in excess of 9'. This is as narrow as it gets because the separator housing runs across the machine and no other parts are removable.
5. Track width (center-to-center) is listed in the manual as 7'11".
6. Weight is not listed in the book but I would estimate at least 4000 pounds.
7. Trailering will be complicated. Being that the minimum width is in excess of 8'6", there are also DOT legality issues involved, depending on how far it is and where you are going. I was fortunate to buy mine less than 10 country road miles from home and simply pulled it with my pickup. Since the hitch does not swing into a transport position, though, the header stuck out to the left side nearly five feet. If you are located in town, this will be tough.
8. Operation is as easy as combines get. Of course, there are a lot of settings and adjustments to be made, but once adjusted for a particular crop, it is easy (and fun) to operate. Manuals are available; an AGCO dealer may even be able to get a new one for you. One thing to keep in mind is that there were different sieves for different crops. If the rig is not equipped with with the correct sieve for what you are wanting to harvest, finding one may be an issue. (Being in central Kansas, mine of course has a wheat sieve which is also used for milo and many other crops.) If you measure the holes in the finishing sieve (the non-adjustable one at the bottom) I would be able to tell you what it is set up for. (Mine has 5/32" by 3/4" oblong holes.)
9. Drapers are available but tend to be pricey. Mine had excellent drapers when I bought it so I do not have first hand information on cost. Sickle parts are easily obtainable and inexpensive since these are standard components.

Good luck in your project. Hope this helps you out. Feel free to e-mail me if you need any other information.

Brendon Nafziger
nafziger@wwwebservice.net

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: