WD Narrow Front Tip-over Risk

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

WD Narrow Front Tip-over Risk

Lewis Goldberg How "tippy" is a WD with a narrow front? I have been warned by a couple of people I know, but I was hoping to get the opinion of someone who knows.

Thanks!

LG

TONY PAUL I HAVE HAD MY WD ALLIS FOR OVER 15 YEARS,IT HAS A NARROW FRONT END,AND IT HAS A LOT OF PULLING POWER,THE FRONT END WILL COME OFF THE GROUND,BUT IF YOU HOOK CHAIN UP CLOSE AND LOW AS YOU CAN ON WHAT YOU ARE PULLING ALSO I LET THE WATER OUT OF MY BACK TIRES SO IT SPINS, THIS HELPS ALOT,ALSO ON MY TRAACTOR I HAVE A WET DISC HAND CLUTCH THAT I USE INSTEAD OF FOOT CLUTCH ALL BY ITSELF.THEN YOU CAN TAKE OFF SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

chris : How "tippy" is a WD with a narrow front? I have been warned by a couple of people I know, but I was hoping to get the opinion of someone who knows.

: Thanks!

: LG

I have a wd45 narrow front with a loader used it for 10 years and tipped over once but cant blame the tractor for loading bales on a hillside just me .As far as the tractor it's only as dangerous as the dumb ass operating it

John : How "tippy" is a WD with a narrow front? I have been warned by a couple of people I know, but I was hoping to get the opinion of someone who knows.

: Thanks!

: LG

I had a relative killed with one on these years ago. The dirty little secret about these fast and handy narrow front is that the manufacturers were able to cheapen up production cost by taking the weight out of the front, but they did not address nose over risks at all.

The best way to deal with the risk without sacrifing draft capacity is to run the narrow front tires as large and wide and possible. That mean disk out on covertible wheels like the JD version. Then keep adding front weights as far forward as consistent with you application (I liked a weight/tool box over stacked plates. The idea is to run the weight up until tire flotation is your application begins to be marginal and these back off a little.

I have seen only one app when the safety - floatation balance could not be achieved within the design carry capacity on the OEM tires. And that was on a WD with duals - four filled tires on a trike.

Tim Blaise Actually they are kind of safe. THey are really balanced nicely. If you know how to take to hills and all of that stuff. I wouldn't use it because it was ment to be a cheaper way to make the tractors. Other wise they are realatively safe.
Bill I know very little about farm tractors but I'm hoping to restore an older one just for the fun of it, and then maybe just to use it with a bush hog to keep the grass down in a field I own. After viewing different older models for the past couple of months, my question is this: What is the difference between the ones with the two wheels together in the front versus the type with the wheels spread apart?

Thanks,
Bill

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Allis Chalmers Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: