SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Hard to start

Skip Brown I just had my injection pump and all filters changed on my Massey Ferguson 285. I have never had a problem with the tractor starting, now I do. a little ether will get it going, but I prefer not to use it. I notice my throttle does not give me the same rpm at the same positioning. Could it be a linkage problem? That sound to simple. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
thepumpguysc Skip, are you pulling the throttle to 1/2 or better when starting?? You probably "never had to do that before".. but that's the proper way.
You might be sucking air after the filter change??
Go back & recheck the oring placement.

skip Brown Thank you very much. I will give it a try today. Merry Ccristmas
Skip Brown I move the throttle forward to 1/2 and when I turned the engine over excessive white smoke came out of the exhaust. I had to turn it over a lot for the engine to start, and when it did start, it appeared to be running at higher rpm than would be safe for a cold engine. my throttle position lever is different from before. all the way down is where I used to start the tractor. all of this work was done professionally.
thepumpguysc When did this hard start problem start?
Right after the pump rebuild? weeks, months years after?
Like I said in my 1st reply.. the throttle should be pulled off of low idle for starting, then pushed back to idle for warm up after starting.
Have you set or adjusted the pump timing??
There is a timing line on the pump mounting flange & a set of marks on the engine block..
Make a note of where it is now & move the pump "alittle" in the direction OPPOSITE the arrow on the name plate.. Good luck.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: