SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Neutral

Jasen I have a Montgomery ward riding mower. It is stuck in gear and will not go into neutral. It does not turn over, click, or start. Any suggestions?
joe The most likely cause of problem is you have a safety sw that's doing it's job,along with several other safety sw's in electrical system you probably have a neutral safety sw,due to fact trans stuck in gear the contacts in neutral sw are open preventing eng from starting,this is why it was put on tractor for safety in a case such as yours.

First thing to do is get trans in neutral/find reason it won't go in neutral & take it from there,once shifter in neutral position it may solve your starting problem,however you may still have trans problems.

Jasen Joe, Any place I should start to find why it will no go in neutral? I looked at the linkage and the shaft and they are tightened. The pin that hold the shaft to the arm that engages the F/N/R is in place and when I move it back and forth I can hear it click like it is going into the proper position. Not very familiar with working on these so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

joe The best thing I can say is get the model#/sn off id tag on tractor & do a google search & ebay search for owners manual & service manual for your model# tractor in addition to possibly locating a service manual for trans,the first thing you have to do is determine who made the tractor for mw,just saying tractor is a mw means little to nothing.

You have to understand the over the yrs several mfg made lawn tractors & garden tractors for mw,the most popular mfg were gilson,mtd & murray and possibly several other lesser known/out of business mfg,I haven't a clue as to mfg of tractor and trans/transaxle & of type(manual 3-6sp manual,vari drive 3-8 sp or hydro)same depended on yr tractor made/mfg and weather a enter level or hi-end tractor

To determine tractor mfg you might try going to www.partstree.com & checking the mtd & murray tractor listings to see if you can find you mod# in either mfg listings,if you can find same write down normal mtd/murray cross ref model# then goto mtd web archives & briggs website and see if you can download an owners manual,service manual and possibly a service manual for trans also.If mod# begins with gil check local yellow pgs for a lawnboy dealer,yrs ago gilson was bought by lawnboy,several yrs later toro bought lawnboy,I'm told toro supports gilson thru their lawnboy dealers,they might be able to help you with manuals,you might also try searching for gilson manual on ebay

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: