SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

68 Suburban 12 engine question

SAM The last time I ran my tractor it ran ok like always and today when I pulled the starter cord it made a sound like air leaking and there was no compression. I haven't looked it over yet but I thought maybe someone would have an idea what may be wrong. I appreciate any input. Every time you pull the rope it makes that sound like air escaping. Head gasket?
rcbe that or possibly a sticking valve (open). If engine is OHV type, can take off valve cover and do a visual chk. If older flathead design, may have to remove head and headgasket to investigate.
SAM If I take the head off and investigate will I be able to get what is needed to repair such as parts and gasket? This engine is a flathead. It was changed once because someone printed the engine number on the housing cover. I've had this tractor for about 23 years now so I don't know the history of it earlier.
rcbe That's an OLD engine. Would get the engine ID info off the engine (model, type,code..)first - go to places like partstree.com, jackssmallengine.com, etc (can do a google search for such) to get confirmed availabilty of needed parts (will at least need a new head gasket from removing head) BEFORE disassy.
At the same time, might even start looking into the cost of a short block or replacement engine if yer so inclined..

SAM Could you tell me if the pulley setup is the same on a sears 10XL as my Suburban 12? I know someone that has a 10 XL for sale but its a far distance from my home and I can't tell from the picture of it if its the same. I would be dropping down from 12hp to 10hp.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: