SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

8n spindle arm washer?

CDescombes I just got a 1948 8n. My first antique tractor. Doing some maintenance on the spindles and wheel bearings.
In taking off the spindle arms, there is some kind of metal washer at the bottom of the arm that stayed on the spindle below the woodruf key. It's about 1/8" thick. Maybe the first maintenance in 70 years. The part broke while trying to get it off. Could someone tell me the name of that part and/or part number cause I can't seem to find it in parts catalog.
Thanks in advance.
Claude

mark sr Not sure why you'd remove the spindle for maintenance, I've always just lubed it and only removed for replacement. Would this have what you need? http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-8N_Spindle-King-Pin-Repair-Kit_S65986.html
Cdescombes Thanks,

Maybe I was misunderstood. I'm changing the bearings and bushings.I ordered the kit already. Maybe the part I'm talking about is the top seal included, but mine really looks like metal and not rubber or felt. Maybe it became like this after 70 years of use.

Claude

Jim L Hi Cdescombes, welcome to the world of old Ford tractors. Was the seal there? I'm thinking you might be right and your washer was the seal. The seal part number 8N 3528. Have you compared it to the other side of the tractor?
mark sr Not sure why I called it a spindle this morning as that is part of the axle, it's kingpin, bushings and bearing you are working on. The more I think about I don't remember any washer being on my NAA's spindle. If I remember correctly the dust seal is like a metal cap/washer with a rubber/felt gasket.
Cdescombes Hi Jim,

Exactly the same thing on the other spindle.
I'll take some pictures tonight. It might be helpful for you guys.

Thanks,

Claude

Cdescombes
Re: 8n spindle arm washer?

Thank you guys,

Having difficulties putting up pictures.
One day later, after drying and without grease, it may well be that what looked like a broken metal washer yesterday is actually the dust seal, sitting there for a very long time (and that's why it broke when trying to get it off. I ordered already a bushing and bearing kit with seals. Gonna wait to see if the seals look like what I have.

Thanks again for your comments
Claude

mark sr I stated it wrong when I said the spindle was part of the axle. The spindle and kingpin is one piece that is removable from the axle. I double checked the IT manual for my NAA and all it shows is the dust cover between the axle and the steering arm. I don't know how much difference there is between the NAA front end and an 8N but I doubt there is much difference.

If you plan to keep your 8N I highly recommend getting the IT manual for your tractor. I've referred to mine countless times over the last 25 yrs.

Cdescombes Hello Mark,

I already have the books.
One day later, after drying and without grease, it may well be that what looked like a broken metal washer yesterday is actually the dust seal, sitting there for a very long time (and that's why it broke when trying to get it off. I already ordered a bushing and bearing kit with seals. Gonna wait to see if the seals look like what I have.

Thanks again for your comments
Claude

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: