SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

engine stuck D4

Rich Molacek I got the pony engine started. Carb overhaul Magneto, Starter, and it runs great. Problem is cat set for 2 years outside I had it covered with tarp. But when I tried to turn diesel it was stucK. Full throttle on pony diesel just stopped it. What can I do. I have to travel 4 hrs from my home every time I work on cat. Its in a remote area. I poured a lots of marvel mystry oil down exhaust and Intake of diesel engine when I left last night.. Will that help?? Decompression lever is on decompress. If its stuck is it done for. I had new track pins roller put on 4 yrs ago lots of investment Now is the cat scrap iron??
hector gemme Make sure your master cluch is in neutral and not freese on flywell and make sure your hydrolic lever is't angaged
steven --I have a 3204 caterpillar 953 with the same problem.

--I would put a socket on the crank shaft with a long breaker bar. but you can only put as much force on it as the bolt head will take before it loosens up or breaks.

--I want to put a wrench on the crank pulley, or take the crank pulley off and put a modified pulley on it that will allow more force to rotate the crank.

--you need to remove the injectors before you try to rotate it too. so that the piston can go all the way to the top of the cylinder.

--cover the engine and the top of the tractor too.

Using a breaker bar to turn a frozen engine over by the crankshaft bolt is not recommended. The acceptable method involves turning the engine from the flexplate/flywheel, or by using a crankshaft socket that fits over the snout of the crank or bolts to the damper. Exceeding the torque rating of the crank bolt can - and will - snap it off, costing a lot of time and trouble to fix.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Freeing_a_stuck_engine

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: