SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

PTO not operating

David Atherton I have a David Brown 990 that the PTO has stopped working on. I've had the inspection cover off the top and the only problem that I can see is that one of the low range gears has some damage. Is it the clutch or the PTO unit?
AJ Could be the clutch or something broke or sheared,the PTO is manual,put it in high with the engine stopped,try and turn the output shaft with a pipe wrench or the like,if the drive is good the engine would turn,if it turns without the engine check the pto clutch adjustment,linkage etc to make sure it is not sticking,test that.
AJ

David Atherton In gear or not the shaft turns freely by hand. :( I thought it would be the clutch but in all honesty I was kidding myself. The tractor clutch still works fine; I guess it's the second stage that's gone???
AJ I think you would feel the difference if the parts are all intact with the pto in gear there would be some drag on the clutch driving disc,if it happened suddenly it may have sheared a spline,its a check this and that issue.
AJ

David Atherton Thanks for that

AJ How familiar are you with the tractor you did not mention if the 3 pt lift is still working,it seems to me that the pto is not in gear,to do anything with the clutch is a big job so you need to know there what's wrong before teardown.
AJ

David Atherton The 3 ptl has all been disconnected. The guy that I bought it off was using it to launch his boat. I bought it solely to run a grinder/mixer mill. Everything has been going well until this happened. To be honest if it's the clutch I probably would't bother attempting to do anything with it. However if it's the pto I would pull it off; it looks like it shouldn't be that hard to remove. The selector appears to move it into gear okay but the shaft turns freely as if something is not working ahead of the pto

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: