Re: Sears Roto-Spader (tiller)

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS

Search This Message Board:
Posted by Dan G on Thursday, July 21, 2005:

In Reply to: Sears Roto-Spader (tiller) posted by Joe on Tuesday, April 01, 2003:

Hi all,
I cant tell how old these posts are, I hope this forum is still active.

I picked up this Sears Roto-Spader walk behind roto-tillerat a garage sale for $10. :)
Its 4 hp.
Model# 785 296031 268

When I first started pull starting it it spit out lots of gas/oil from the exhaust. I took the carb apart and started soaking it in carb cleaner. Then I unscrewed the oil cap and diluted oil/gas pushed overflowed from the opening. Popped the head off to check condition of valve seats. There was a lot of build-up that could cause compression problems and a pretty deep score in the cylinder that could allow oil to get in the combustion chamber. The rings look good. How could that much gas get into the oil?
Is it possible the float was stuck open (it was stiff)and the piston was syphoning straight gas into the chamber and scraping it down into the crankcase through the score in the cylinder?
I am off to have the cylinder bored out (hopefully its not too deep)
I will need to find a gasket for the crank case but sears doesnt recognize this model number (Model# 785 296031 268)I would also like to get a carb kit.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]