SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS

Search This Message Board:
Posted by danny on Wednesday, March 15, 2017:

Hey folks, I'm Danny and new to John Deere and the forum.

I recently purchased a 1997 5400 and it had some wiring issues..actually more than I counted on. anyhow, I replaced the front harness and discovered most of the rear harness has been cut/disconnected for the most part. I have managed to get the oil and battery lights to work but none of the other gauges. at this point, I'd just like to have the temp and tachometer work. we have tried to figure out the wiring to the tachometer but once we get into the cluster that goes into the panel box, the wires change colors from white and green, so it makes it difficult to know if we are connecting the right wires. it's been nearly impossible to find a diagram that can explain what color wire/s go to the tach from the plug on the rear harness. so my next plan was to get a tachometer and just run it straight from the sensor, bypassing harnesses, to my dash. is this possible? I have looked for tachometers but I don't see any for a 5400. mine is electric and was wondering if there is a conversion kit for a 5400 to make it a mechanical tach? also, will any tach that fits a diesel engine work? please help!!

BTW.. explained all this to two dealerships in the area and neither have gotten back to me. there initial response was "uuhhh..". no offense to JD or them but I was hoping for more than that and didn't think this was such a difficult thing..to get a tachometer to work somehow..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: