SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS

Search This Message Board:
Posted by steven on Sunday, November 22, 2015:

In Reply to: engine stuck D4 posted by Rich Molacek on Saturday, October 10, 2015:

--I have a 3204 caterpillar 953 with the same problem.

--I would put a socket on the crank shaft with a long breaker bar. but you can only put as much force on it as the bolt head will take before it loosens up or breaks.

--I want to put a wrench on the crank pulley, or take the crank pulley off and put a modified pulley on it that will allow more force to rotate the crank.

--you need to remove the injectors before you try to rotate it too. so that the piston can go all the way to the top of the cylinder.

--cover the engine and the top of the tractor too.

Using a breaker bar to turn a frozen engine over by the crankshaft bolt is not recommended. The acceptable method involves turning the engine from the flexplate/flywheel, or by using a crankshaft socket that fits over the snout of the crank or bolts to the damper. Exceeding the torque rating of the crank bolt can - and will - snap it off, costing a lot of time and trouble to fix.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Freeing_a_stuck_engine

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: