SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS

Search This Message Board:
Posted by Jon on Saturday, August 07, 2010:

I have a 1949 8n, S/N#8N189112
It runs great, but smokes unbelievably bad. I recenlty received the tractor for free from my Grandfather (with a Dearborn 19-61 loader and a 54100C Sherman power digger!)
The entire right side of the engine was coated in at least 1/4" of grime, so I soaked it in dish detergent for a day, then pressure washed it with more dish detergent and washed it all down with fresh water. While running, the exhaust/intake manifold was actually seeping oil externally at the #4 exhaust port. So I do have a leaky manifold gasket, but that isn"t the cause of the oil and smoking - but does go to prove that a decent amount of oil is coming from somewhere!

Thinking I probably had a busted ring, I did a compression test, and all cylinders were perfect at about 102PSI each (each cylinder made it there within 4 compression strokes, moving about 25 PSI per compression stroke). This made me so curious that I removed the exaust manifold.. The port for #4 is completely soaked in wet oil, and the entire inside of the tailpipe is also wet with oil.
I then pulled the head, and everything looks good and dry in the passage from the #4 cylinder to the valve (there was no spark plug fouling on #4, and the valves were good and clean as well).

I have to assume that the oil is coming up through the valve guide on the #4 exhaust valve (or possibly the #3, is it was just a little wet with oil as well).

My question is - has anyone heard of this happening? Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions (other things I should so while I have the hood and head removed, etc..

Here is what I know so far:
- Based on the S/N, I have single-piece guides
- The tappets on this tractor are solid and not adjustable
- The oil in the #4 exhaust port is wet, as well as the oil in the tailpipe. Wouldn"t this back up that it is coming from the valve guide - as it is liquid and obviously not being combusted in the chamber

Thanks for any help!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: